I-AA Team Seeks I-A Bowl Bid
Posted November 14, 2007on:
They are ineligible for the FCS postseason play-offs because they are in their fifth and final year of Division I reclassification. Thus the team is hoping for a invitation to an FBS (formerly I-A) bowl game.
According to a story written in the Fargo Forum, NDSU athletic director, Gene Taylor “wonders if a 10-1 or 11-0 team would make for a better story and be more attractive to a bowl committee than a 6-6 team that finished in the lower half of its league.”
Although it may sound farfetched that, here is some food for thought:
- NDSU is ranked #1 in FCS coach’s poll.
- An undefeated record
- Two wins versus FBS opponents including:
- A road win versus Minnesota – a Big Ten opponent.
- A 30-point road win versus Central Michigan – the MAC West champions.
- Lots of parity among top FCS and lower level FBS teams. Think Appalchian State over Michigan, Northern Iowa over Iowa, and NDSU over Minnesota.
- Great fans – NDSU brought 30,000 fans to the Metrodome, when the team played Minnesota.
- Last year Boise State went undefeated and even though they are in a non-BCS conference, they earned an invite to a BCS bowl. The game between Boise State and Oklahoma turned out to be one of the greatest football games of all-time.
What do you think about a FBS team getting a bowl invite?